2020 will not be a year that’s forgotten quickly… With Coronavirus dominating the news for months on end, there’s a seemingly ever-increasing negative impact on global markets. And no one really knows what ‘business as usual’ means anymore.
Luckily, despite all the bad news stories, it’s not all doom and gloom. Au contraire… We’re seeing businesses and industries pull together to help each other. The recruitment, talent acquisition, human resource and screening sectors have been no exception (we’ll call this group of professionals “the People Function”).
Globally, professionals from the People Function find themselves in 3 distinct camps:
- Camp 1 – High volume hiring like never before (think supermarkets, hospitals, online distributions chains, security businesses and help centres).
- Camp 2 – Hiring as usual (you’re not hiring more or less than before, but you are hiring differently: mostly remotely…)
- Camp 3 – Hiring freezes mean you can’t hire new employees or progress applications that are currently in your recruitment funnel.
One thing that’s common in all 3 camps:
They all require you to modify your recruitment funnel to fit with the rapidly changing environment brought about as a result of COVID-19.
And THAT’s the point of this blog:
To work through the main constraints professionals in the People function are reporting and share tools and resources for how you can deal with these constraints…
So what are these constraints?
- No Context: When hiring can’t meet people face to face, can’t sell the benefits of the office (location, office perks), can’t physically onboard new team members or manage morale and/or culture…
- No Money or Hiring: Hiring freezes mean you can’t do your usual job or meet KPIs, so how do you demonstrate value?
- No Candidates: Finding candidates is tricky, especially without paying additional fees and when so many talented people are holding onto their current roles.
Dealing with Constraint 1 – What to do now that there’s no context…
1.1 Video Interviewing is the answer – checkout this guide by Recruiting News Network.
Face-to-face conversations enable you and the candidate to both get some extra context. Video interviewing tools can help you do this at scale, while building your employer brand and enhancing candidate experience too.
1.2 Tech Tip – Easy onboarding – quick and free training videos through Loom.
Many companies rely on physical proximity to help onboard new team members. You can sit next to them, for example, and quickly show them your screen or walk them through a system. What if, you could record this onboarding journey once and share it with all the new staff you onboard? Loom is currently offering a free video recording deal to help you do just that.
Dealing with Constraint 2 – No Hiring? No Worries!
2.1 – Automating processes – set yourself up for success!
It’s tricky to show value to your employer or deliver on your KPIs when there’s no budget and hiring freezes. Luckily, technology is your friend… Especially when it comes to streamlining processes so that your ready to up your hiring game once life goes back to some kind of normal. And lots of HR tech vendors are offering free assistance to help you hire through Covid-19. At PASS, our current support offer includes three months of access to the PASS background screening platform for free.
That means, you get to:
- Take control of your screening processes and data (as PASS is an in-house platform)
- Boost cost efficiencies with cheaper checks and a free platform
- Enhance future candidates’ application and screening experience
- Meet all your industry standards, access clever reporting and ensure data compliance
- Build a process flow and tech stack that works for you and can be customised to each department or role you’re hiring for
2.2 – Think ahead: Create a return to work plan
We didn’t have much notice to build ‘lockdown work plans.’ But we do know that we will slowly be returning to the office in the coming months. So why not use this free checklist by the guys at Drafted and start designing your return to work plan.
Dealing with Constraint 3 – No Candidates.
- 3.1 – In tight times, you really want to find candidates without paying additional fees. The Layoffs list gives you access to a live list of candidates who’ve been stepped down as a result of Covid. It’s an instant and free talent pool and most candidates will even be immediately available.
- 3.2 – Just because you don’t have budget to involve agency recruiters to help you source the perfect candidate, doesn’t mean you should not reach out to them. Many are offering complimentary search services. Like Spencer Lane’s fee free temp recruitment.
There are plenty other amazing free tools and resources available out there. If you know of any that we should include in this list, please share the details with us at Hello@passtechnology.com.